Home |  Forum |  RSS

Forum

Wayne Bird - Wed Mar 02 23:29:40 UTC 2011 Wed Mar 02 23:29:40 UTC 2011

Resize Columns

What's the trick to resize columns on tasks under the Gantt tab? They're a nightmare to work with.
7 answers  
Anonymous - Thu Mar 03 22:19:33 UTC 2011 Thu Mar 03 22:19:33 UTC 2011
Can you give some more details on that?
Wayne Bird - Fri Mar 04 00:20:24 UTC 2011 Fri Mar 04 00:20:24 UTC 2011
1. I have four columns shown, I wanted to make three columns relatively narrow and the fourth column very wide. However GanttProject allow me to slide the columns to the left, but not enough to what I needed.

2. Is there a way to save the column sizing? Every time I resize the columns and set what tasks to collapse and expand, save, close, then reopen the project, all the sizing and tasks have expanded.
Anonymous - Sat Mar 05 22:25:12 UTC 2011 Sat Mar 05 22:25:12 UTC 2011
1. Do you think that a dozen of pixels is too much? Why don't you just hide the column?

2. I can't reproduce the problem with HouseBuildingSample file in GP 2.0.10. Sizes and collapsing state is kept. Can you share or send me a project file where the problem is reproducible?
Kristen - Fri Apr 01 19:38:04 UTC 2011 Fri Apr 01 19:38:04 UTC 2011
I'd like to chime in that I'm having the same difficulty. There are some columns that I only need to see three characters of information, so 'hiding the column' isn't the answer. I'd like to have the other columns adjusted in the width so I can see all columns without having the slider bar at the bottom. Sounds simple, but in fact it's frustratingly difficult because of the 'scale proportionately' function you have on all the columns.

One of the problems is the sliding column widths handle is invisible unless you roll over it and watch for the cursor change. Sometimes, no cursor change occurs until you select the column. So you're sliding back and forth - not knowing if your 'missing' the adjustment area, or is it a software glitch. Please add a line between the column heads so that we can see them to adjust them.

Another problem is when sliding the separator bar, the column width auto scales to fit the new width - but if you add a column and then drag the separator back to the left, the new column width doesn't adjust and then you get a scroll bar at the bottom. And the only way to fix it is to turn on ALL the columns and then hide the ones you don't want. Then then new column width 'auto adjusts' to fit in the space.

Overall, working with the column widths so that information is easy to work with is beyond difficult and extremely frustrating. It would almost be better to completely remove the capability of adjusting the width than to have what exists there now. Certainly PLEASE REMOVE the 'scale proportionately' function!

I can create a detailed screen capture movie of how cumbersome the whole thing is if you need further proof.
Anonymous - Sat Apr 02 14:32:05 UTC 2011 Sat Apr 02 14:32:05 UTC 2011
Thanks for the detailed description, Kristen! I agree that proportional scaling was probably not the best design decision.

>some columns that I only need to see three characters of information, so 'hiding the column' isn't the answer.

I can easily squeeze a column so that it becomes just one symbol wide. Is there anything that I don't understand?

> the sliding column widths handle is invisible unless you roll over it

Are you running GP on Mac OSX by any chance? Table header UI depends on the look and feel, and it looks fine with Plastic appearance. Unfortunately we can't do too much with the table headers appearance.

Rick Stockton - Mon Aug 01 22:46:25 UTC 2016 Mon Aug 01 22:46:25 UTC 2016
Hi, just catching up on the progress here.

I, too, would like to be able to adjust column width, save, close, and then reopen my *.gan files and see the same column widths as I had when I closed the GanttProject file.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? When I do as above, the columns always reappear at their former, pre-adjusted state.

I would like to adjust them and have them remain adjusted.
Dmitry Barashev - Tue Aug 02 16:43:37 UTC 2016 Tue Aug 02 16:43:37 UTC 2016
Not sure if it was you who filed a ticket, so just for the record: it is a bug in GP 2.8. Here is a link to the ticket: https://github.com/bardsoftware/ganttproject/issues/1290