Home |  Forum |  RSS

Forum

Sebastian Brooks - Sat Feb 25 18:26:43 UTC 2017 Sat Feb 25 18:26:43 UTC 2017
How does one address resource conflicts?

So far I'm enjoying Ganttproject, however I've run into a rather major issue. I can assign resources to multiple tasks, and while Ganttproject will show on the resource chart that they are overloaded, there does not appear to be any easy way to resolve them, even manually.

So far the only way I've found involves going to the resource chart, identifying a conflict, and then setting the one of the tasks as a predecessor of the other. While this technically works, it's cumbersome to go back and forth, and somewhat disingenuous and harmful to the project plan, because the tasks are not really predecessors. For example, if I had another resource come free, the task1 would still be listed as a predecessor of task2, even though I could now start the task sooner with the new resource.

Is there a better way of handling this that I'm just not seeing?
1 answers  
Dmitry Barashev - Sat Feb 25 22:18:54 UTC 2017 Sat Feb 25 22:18:54 UTC 2017
When you have a conflict, the choice of the way to resolve it is up to you. You may choose to move one of the tasks to make resource less loaded, but you might as well choose to assign someone else to do one of the tasks. GanttProject can't do this choice for you.

Speaking of technical issues, I suggest opening task properties directly from the resource chart (double-click task in the table or select it and hit Alt+Enter) and changing predecessors and/or resources in the task properties.